Roasted Cauliflower with Kalonji and Pomegranate Seeds
Here’s a wonderful savory “last of winter” roasted vegetable dish that sometimes stands alone as my dinner. It’s that good.
I use Kalonji, which is also known as Onion Seed, Nigella Seed and in popular language the “seed of blessing.” It is considered to be one of the greatest healing herbs of all times.* Kalonji, are small black seeds grown on Kalonji bushes, which appear widely through India. Kalonji seeds are roughly the same size as sesame seeds, although more triangular instead of oval. In this recipe I have used toasted Kalonji to flavor a savory roasted cauliflower dish, but their elegant shape and jet black color also makes it a popular decorative spice for tossing onto breads like naan as well as over salads.
1 Head Cauliflower
1/4 cup olive oil or coconut oil or ghee (melted)
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
(if you do not have the above herbs/spices, you may substitute 1 tbsp curry powder)
salt and pepper to taste
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 Tbsp Nigella Seed
Seeds from 1/2 Pomegranate
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Separate cauliflower into small florets and toss with all but 2 tbsp olive oil.
2. Over medium heat in a dry skillet gently toast nigella seeds for 1 minute. Remove from skillet and toast fennel seed for 1 minutes with cumin, coriander and turmeric. Off heat add 1 Tbsp olive oil, stir, and pour over cauliflower.
3. Place cauliflower on a lined (foil or parchment) baking sheet and cook at 500 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 400 degrees and cook another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and toss in remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, lemon juice and pomegranate seeds. Enjoy!!!
· Nigella and melatin are the two ingredients in Black Seed that contribute greatly to its highly diversified powers. These substances work together to provide the digestive benefits, promote cleansing and assist with overall eliminating action.
· Nigella seeds may help fight against respiratory ailments.
· Nigella seeds act as an antihistamine, reducing many allergy symptoms
· Nigella seeds are also a strong anti-oxidant and may help cleanse the body of toxins.
· Nigella seeds provide a rich supply of polyunsaturated fatty acids, and may help to regulate the metabolism, balance insulin levels, regulate cholesterol, improve body circulation, and promote healthy liver function.
· Congestion: Mix a teaspoon of Black seed oil in boiling water and inhale the vapor twice a day. A remedy to relieve nasal congestion.
· Vomiting: Take ½ teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mix with equal amount of kalonji seeds powder, twice a day.
· Indigestion: Mix 1 spoon vinegar with half teaspoon kalonji seeds powder twice daily before breakfast afternoon & night for 10 days & avoid sweets